Saturday, July 28, 2012

in noodle we trust

this week, i went swimming in a pool that had a deep end of 9 feet. for those of you who forget, i am only 5 feet tall, so it's fairly easy for me to drown. ;) (i remember i once almost drowned when someone threw me into water that was 4'8" deep. they thought i'd be fine bc i was 5 foot, but they forgot that if i were to stand up in 4'8" water, the water would come up to around my forehead, so i am pretty much submerged in water. haha)

anyway, so the pool that i was in was 9 feet deep. normally, i would never even venture past the 4 foot end of the pool, but because i was equipped with a noodle (a flotation device), i decided to "swim" out there. once i got to the deep end, i stopped swimming and just "stood" there with my noodle. as my feet dangled in the water with the floor several feet below me, i should've been panic-stricken. it's a scary sensation to be without solid ground beneath you. but i was fine. i had full confidence in my noodle's ability to keep me afloat. i found that i had no fear of drowning bc i knew that i'd be perfectly safe as long as i held on to my noodle.

so as i floated in the water, staring up at the beautiful blue sky, i felt my body relax. all the muscles in my body became one with the water and not a single cell in my body was tense. a sigh of contentment escaped me while i felt nothing but joy of being on vacation.

and as i lay in the water happily floating with my noodle, i realized that this is how faith works. when you have faith that God is going to keep you afloat, that even though you can't feel the ground beneath you, you know you are perfectly safe in His hands, you can't help but relax. i could've been freaked out that there was almost double my height's worth of water to drown in, but i trusted in my noodle. that's the problem with looking down at the "what if's" of the abyss, it makes you freak out and tense up, and make you less likely to float. but if you trust in God, when you look up, all there is is beautiful blue sky, even with the possibility of death beneath me.

i prayed right then and there that i would trust in Him the same way i trusted in my noodle. i prayed that i would be able to hold closely to Him bc there's no way i will drown as long as i have Him. and i prayed that i would have the perfect peace that comes with trusting in Him bc He is bigger than i'll ever know.

thanks Daddy for the lesson in the pool. =)

1 comment:

  1. man... this could be a sermon analogy on trusting in God! :)

    ReplyDelete