Thursday, February 12, 2009

Facebook Requests from work people -- eek!

i've been hoping this day wouldn't happen for months now --- i've been facebook friend requested by work people!! =O

i dunno, but for some reason, i am very wary and nervous about letting my work people see my fb profile. i mean, for obvious reasons, i'd like to keep my pictures private from people who are not my good friends. plus, i like to keep my work life and private life separated. i don't think work ppl need to know that i went bowling with my friends and see all my sad faces of getting 2 pins down.

but there are 2 main things i'm worried about:

1. what will they think when they see that all my friends are asian?

when i was in college, i had absolutely no problem with having only asian friends. i mean, what's the big deal? my friends didn't care (probably b/c they WERE asian, haha), so why should i? but then, when i started working as a real adult, in the real world, i realized that i felt uncomfortable being around large groups of non-asian people. it wasn't so bad when i was a teacher, simply b/c i was alone in my classroom and not really interacting with the other teachers. but here, in office world, it's like, i have to talk to people all the time! i always feel like i have to be "office mia" when i'm at work, and then when i'm finally around my friends, i can take the mask off.

but what will i do now? will they judge me that i'm a bigot? or that i'm racist? will they think it's weird that i only have asian friends? although technically, maybe they only have friends of their race. haha. i guess it's just more prominent when u have all asian friends.

2. i don't really like it when ppl find out that i can sing. this is how the conversation usually goes:

stalker: wow mia! i had no idea you could sing!
me: yeahh... i used to sing a little in college
stalker: can u sing something right now?
me: uhhhh.... no thanks!
stalker: come onnnnn. just sing like one song. anything u want.
me: ummm... i'd rather not...
stalker: why not? if i could sing like that, i'd sing all the time!
me: yeahhhhh... i dunno.

and then i proceed to somehow run away. =\

u guys may think this is funny, but i find it really awkward. i'm not a human jukebox! i will not sing for u whenever u ask me to! it's awkward and strange!!

but not just that, it has horrible consequences - ppl start calling on u to sing stuff at contests, office parties, when ppl can't remember how songs go, christmas parties, etc. most of the time, i just want to blend in with the crowd... and being forced to sing without any preparation is really nerve-wrecking and enormously pressureful. as a people pleaser, i don't like disappointing anyone, and hence, i don't like to sing unless i'm fully practiced to.

arghhhh... what to do about these friend requests??? =(

do you guys accept all your work friend requests?

3 comments:

  1. mia, just create a friend list named "Work" or something and add them all to that list, and then yo ucan set your privacy settings for just that group specifically. like they cant see any videos, or pictures, and only see your wall, or no wall, or whatever you want. (: thats what i do with all those high school kids that barely knew me who add me on fb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoaaaaa i didnt know you could do that!!!! that's cool!!! thanks john for the tips!

    HAHA i hear ya mia! i go through that too!!! my university supervisor friended me months ago and i haven't responded back yet! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mia!!!! good news.
    talk to bryan chuah about free dental practice k?!!!

    ReplyDelete