Friday, March 16, 2018

Parents - can't live with them, can't live without... umm... no comment

I can't believe it's already been 5 weeks since Emily has come into our lives!  The days and nights are so long, and yet time goes by so fast.  I've been meaning to capture all the thoughts/insights and memories I've had during these past 5 weeks so that I can look back on them years from now when  Sy and I are old, and we can miss being parents to a newborn.  But alas, time is precious and instead of writing this all down, I chose naps or taking a shower instead.  (I think we can all agree that was the right decision!)

So here goes - the first memory I want to capture.

The first time my parents came to visit us at our home after Emily's birth was the most annoying 3 hours I've had in a long time.  My parents are good people with good intentions - but boy do they lack common sense!  In the middle of their visit, I had to go into the bedroom to go pump and left Sy to hang out with them alone.  I had imagined that it would be a little awkward for them to just make chit chat without me, but how bad could it be?  I heard my dad go to the bathroom and then shortly after, he started calling out to Sy asking where our toilet cleaner was.  Sy ran over to my dad and gently told him it was unnecessary for him to clean our toilet.  But my dad insisted that it needed to be cleaned, and started going to his car to get his cleaning supplies.  When my dad came back from the car, he realized that we didn't have a toilet brush.  Sy then had to explain to my dad that we use the disposable brushes, and again insisted that my dad do not clean our toilet.  But again - my dad refused to listen.

So then Sy had to explain how to use the disposable brush.  I was still trapped in our bedroom pumping, and couldn't put an end to this even if I wanted to.  Soon, I heard the sloshing sounds of my dad cleaning our toilet.  After multiple flushes, I began to wonder - why is my dad still cleaning the toilet?  It should only take about 1-2 minutes to clean a toilet.  Sy must have had the same thought and went to go check in on my dad.

And what did Sy find?  He found my dad cleaning our bathtub USING THE TOILET BRUSH!  Sy exclaimed, "DAD!  WHAT ARE YOU DOING??  THAT'S DISGUSTING!"  Which my dad then reasoned that the toilet brush was clean bc he had rinsed it in the clean toilet bowl after he had finished cleaning it.  Sy (man, I love his quick logic) then asked my dad - "Would you eat off a plate that I used to clean with this toilet water??"  And my dad - being the proud man that he is - refused to acknowledge that he had committed a truly heinous act in the name of sanitation - and again insisted that WE were the crazy, neurotic clean-freaks who could not appreciate his act of service to us. 

I get that my dad was trying to be a good father - to help clean his daughter's house while she was recovering from having a baby - and clearly didn't have time to clean.  But he didn't realize that he had now given us an extra chore of having to clean the bathtub!  (I HATE cleaning the bathtub the most of all the household chores!) He took our mediocre-level clean bathtub and turned it into a bathtub that no one would want to step foot into!  I wanted to strangle him!

Sigh - parents can be such a pain!  They mean well - but man, they do not make life easier more often than not!  Even 6 hours after my parents had left our house, while lying on the sofa, I burst out in anger - "IF HE HAD EVEN USED A NEW TOILET BRUSH - THAT WOULD'VE BEEN BETTER!"  Sy burst out laughing that I was still angry and replaying this encounter when I was supposed to be napping. 

This was truly an SMH moment.  Emily - if you ever read this entry when you're older - I hope you know that this is what we put up with because your grandparents wanted to see you.  You owe us, girl.  You owe us so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment