Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Brunch Excursions - Week 15 Observations

Not many updates for this week!  Emily has been about the same - she's still suffering from her teething discomfort, still waking up periodically in the middle of the night, and still the same sweet girl that she is.

Poor Emily has been suffering from busy weekends since May.  She has not had a single weekend that was just the 3 of us since April.  I bet she must hate the weekends - she doesn't get as much sleep, and she gets schlepped around outside of her familiar house.  What a pain!

This weekend, we had brunch with Sy's cousins at a restaurant.  Man, that was an interesting experience.  Try seating 6 adults, a 5 year old, a 2 year old, a 7 month old and a 4 month old.  We were lucky that the restaurant was empty bc we took up the entire back space with the kids running around, our 2 strollers parked next to us, and 2 car seats taking up the booth. 

Emily still hasn't mastered the ability to hang out with us at a restaurant.  So when she got overtired bc she was way past her nap, she started to get really cranky.  I ended up holding her, and gently rocking her back and forth while I tried to continue to engage in conversation with the cousins and take bites of food.  After a little while, Emily fell asleep in my arms.  This happens very rarely - where Emily will be so tired that she will fall asleep without her usual routine at home.  But when it does happen, I find it to be one of the sweetest things.  Here she is, so exhausted, and will gladly just sleep in my arms.  Sy thinks that she wouldn't do that in his arms - no matter how tired she was.  And if that really is true, then how beautiful is that?  Her mama's arms are her comfort and safety.  One day, Emily will be too big/old to fall asleep in my arms like this.  For now, I will embrace it (no pun intended) and cherish it.  After she fell asleep, I very gently put her down into her car seat.  She didn't last very long staying asleep bc there were too many noises to keep her awake.  But at least she got a 10 minute cat nap. 

On a side note, we changed Emily's diaper for the first time in the trunk of our car.  Emily pooped her diaper while at the restaurant, and I discovered there was no changing table in the bathroom.  How on earth were we supposed to change her diaper??  So we went to the car and changed her there, and it was so difficult to do!  I'm too short for Sy's car.  So my back was hurting as I was tippy toeing to bend over Emily.  It was a really hot and humid day, so I was dripping in sweat.  On top of that, Emily hadn't pooped in 2 days, so she did a massive poop.  It was a hot mess - literally.

There should be some kind of law that states that all bathrooms must have a changing table.  Don't babies deserve a clean place to be able to have their diapers changed?  I read a few posts online about stories of no changing tables, and 1 person changed his baby's diaper on the bathroom floor.  How disgusting is that??  I can't even imagine how many horrific germs were on the floor centimeters away from the baby's face.  Eugh.  America seriously needs so much reform when it comes to children - maternity/paternity leave, bathrooms, etc!  I hope we never have to be in this kind of situation again!

No comments:

Post a Comment