Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Cue Celine Dion's "All By Myself" music - Week 18 Observations

Last week, Emily had a few really hard days.  For 3 days, she had such a hard time sleeping.  I was constantly going to her and trying to put her back to sleep.  It felt very reminiscent of her awful 6 weeks period.  I woke up in the mornings with my old aches and pains in my thumb, wrist, elbows, knees, and feet again.  I was super miserable and cried a lot.

But then Emily cleared up and became her normal sleeping self again!  It made me wonder - was it because she had had such a hard Father's Day?  Was it that it was just taking her really long to re-adjust back to normal?  If that is the case, then man, I never want to take her out again!  It was the hardest 3 days!

A cute thing I noticed about Emily last week was that whenever Emily gets startled, she looks at me.  I was feeding Emily, and had her sitting on my propped-up legs.  When my foot lost its grip, it slipped an inch and Emily was moved suddenly while having her milk.  She immediately got a scared/startled look on her face and gripped my finger tightly in her hands.  At first, I thought it was so cute to see her get startled.  But then I realized that she looks to me to reassure her that she's safe.  Even when we go out for our daily stroll, if she ever hears loud noises like a fire truck or a loud motorcycle, she looks at me with her frightened eyes, and I smile down at her to say It's okay!  Nothing to be scared of!  and she calms back down.  It's cool to know that she trusts me.  If I say it's okay, then she knows she's safe.  If I'm calm, she can be calm.  I hope Emily knows that I will always keep her safe and I will always protect her.

This past weekend, Sy went to Vegas and I was with Emily all day and all night by myself for 2.5 days.  I was nervous about it because I wasn't sure how I would handle the lack of relief Sy brings when he comes home from work or is home for the weekend.  Could I really be a solo parent with no breaks?  Well... I did it!  It was pretty exhausting with no one to tag me out when I got tired.  It made me wonder how single parents do it - or how anyone achieves raising a child with no help whatsoever.  If I didn't have friends come and visit me throughout the weekend, I think I would've gone crazy with the lack of adult conversation.  I mean, I love Emily, but she is not really the best conversationalist. 

I'm starting to think that Emily needs to be sleep trained.  After the 3 days of really hard put-downs for naps, I started feeling like Emily needs to learn how to sleep by herself.  It was too hard on me to keep going through 15-20 min of intense rocking every 30 min.  When I talked about it with my sister-in-law, she said that sleep training is important bc this is a life skill she will use for the rest of her life.  She needs to learn how to sleep and fall back asleep on her own.  She can't rely on me forever.  When I heard it from this perspective, I knew she was right.  I just don't have the confidence that I can sleep train her by myself.  I can't handle all the crying.  I'm going to need Sy to help keep me calm and not want to run in there and rescue her.  It'll be glorious when we successfully train her, but it's going to be so painful getting there.  Man, I hope she learns quickly - more for my sake than hers!

No comments:

Post a Comment