Friday, July 6, 2018

Here comes the mom - Week 19 Observations

This was a slow week for new developments.  But I will say, this was a sad week for poo.  Emily didn't poo for 3 days straight, and when she finally had to go, she would cry hard as she was trying to push it out.  It was so sad to see.  Her tears and pain and frustration were so real, and yet we were completely helpless to help her at all.  There was nothing we could do except try to stimulate her butt or just hold her as she cried.  I felt really bad because I had wondered if she had stopped pooping bc I had stopped giving her breast milk.  It was eerily a coincidence that she stopped pooping the same week I had finally weaned off pumping.  And the worst part?  It happened again!  She didn't poo for 3 days straight again, and Sy told me that she cried so hard she was shaking.  Man, baby constipation is so hard - literally and figuratively.

This week was an interesting week bc I had a lot of plans.  Thurs night, I had to go into the city for a mini bachelorette.  Sy had to stay home from work so I could get to the city on time for the festivities.  It was the first time I had an alcoholic drink in a year - and man, I could not handle it whatsoever.  For some strange reason, throughout my entire pregnancy, I craved sangria really bad.  So I finally had my first glass of sangria at dinner, and it tasted so good.  But after only 1/4 of the cup, I started feeling the effects hard.  First, I turned red as a beet and was super hot.  Then I got really sleepy.  Then I got really nauseous and felt sick.  I almost decided to go home bc I felt so sick.  But thankfully the alcohol wore off gradually and I was able to stay out a little longer. 

Friday night, we brought Emily to a rehearsal dinner.  And Saturday, I had to stand in a wedding as the maid of honor.  I had to leave my house at 7:30am.  Basically, I was leaving Emily for the first time all day long.  I wasn't going to see her the rest of the day and night.  I had been looking forward to this day for months - this was going to be my first real day off.  And yet, I got sad to leave her.  I cried a little saying goodbye to her in the morning, and missed her all day!  It's so crazy how you can be so tired of watching your baby day in and day out, but then when you leave them, it's the saddest day ever.  Poor Sy had never watched Emily this long without me, so he was pretty nervous.  The sad part is that Emily basically got no sleep.  Ever since Sy went to Vegas, Emily has been crying even harder when Sy tries to put her to sleep.  So as a result, she just would not sleep with Sy all day - 40 min here and there.  I was so worried for her!  Sy had to drop off Emily at his sister's so he could come and attend the wedding as well.  So I worried again that she would get no sleep bc she was in a foreign place and wouldn't fall asleep.  Thankfully, she slept decently there!  When Sy and I picked her up around midnight, we were able to successfully transfer her from the bassinet to the car seat, drive home, and put her in her own crib all without waking up!  I was so proud of her! 

After 3 days of poor sleep (Thurs she missed a nap bc Sy took her to see his parents, Friday the rehearsal dinner, and Sat with Sy), we decided to give her a nice, quiet day on Sunday.  She slept more thankfully! 

All in all, I found it to be an interesting week.  I learned that taking a day off or even a night off is so much coordination for a mom.  If Sy takes a night off, it's no big deal - business as usual.  But when I take a night off, Sy has to take off work, I have to leave instructions on what to do, and sleep issues ensue.  On the one hand, it makes me proud to know that Emily is in good hands when it's just me and her - I've become a capable mom!  On the other hand, it makes me feel like moms are so invaluable that it sort of becomes like entrapment. 

In the meantime, let's hope the poo starts flowing more regularly again!

No comments:

Post a Comment