Monday, January 14, 2019

Sick and tired - literaly - Week 45+46 Observations

It's been another crazy 2 weeks for the family!  Emily and I got pretty sick and it's been a long journey back to health.  Shortly after New Year's day, Emily had a small runny nose issue.  She didn't have any other symptoms, so I thought she was mostly okay.  But then her sleep became terrible!  Emily had her first runny nose on a Wed.  Then on Thurs, she refused to sleep all morning.  I had an interview that day, so I was at her grandparents' house.  Emily eventually slept at like noon - but only for 40 min.  That was the beginning of her poor sleep stretch.  For days, Emily had trouble sleeping during naps.  At night, Emily would wake up nearly every hour either coughing or just crying.  It was the most tiring time for me and Sy as we got poor sleep as a result of her poor sleep. 

Then on Sunday, I started feeling pretty sick myself.  I had inevitably caught her cold.  I ended up sleeping several naps that day while Sy took care of Emily so I could sleep.  Emily's mucus was pretty green by this point, and so was mine.  On Monday, I lost my voice and it was such a struggle to take care of Emily.  While I was physically mostly okay, just fatigued, it was so hard to not talk to her.  She needs me to talk to her and play with her, but my voice just hurt so much.  On top of that, Sy's sister had suggested that maybe we rock Emily to sleep since she's sick.  And I began to rock her to sleep for naps.  While it was sweet to be able to rock her to sleep like the old days, and see her drift off into dreamland and breathe so peacefully, it was also really tiring.  Emily is like 18 pounds now, so rocking her steadily for 15-20 min at time was hard on my arms.  My arms would go numb and ache.  I was fatigued myself from being sick, so it was doubly hard.  Finally, on Wed, Sy took a sick day and took care of us both of us so we could get better.  Emily was still not sleeping well at night, and still needing to be rocked for naps.  It was a very long week. 

Emily and I are feeling better.  We may not be 100% better still, but at least we're no longer with green mucus.  Emily is sleeping through the night without crying or waking up to coughs, so that's good.  We've been able to get some more rest.  I'm trying to retrain her to nap without the rocking.  That's a tough one to overcome.  It becomes a mental struggle of trying to figure out what's more important - getting more sleep throughout the day by helping her to fall asleep or to train her to sleep on her own. 

Oh and on top of all of this, Emily went back to eating SOOO poorly again.  We've had to supplement all of her leftover milk with oatmeal and it's been so stressful to make sure she's getting enough milk in her day.  She just hates milk now.  While she didn't do the screaming she did the last cold, the lack of appetite for milk was tough to deal with.  We're still dealing with the aftermath of it.  I hope she starts drinking all her milk soon. 

In terms of development, Emily has learned how to ask us to do things repetitively.  There are 2 crinkle books she has, and she has figured out how to ask us to read it to her over and over again.  While the repetition is annoying - it's really sweet to see her want to do something again and to ask us to do it.  I also got her a baby shark book that has buttons to play songs.  She has learned how to ask us to help her push the buttons.  I somewhat regret buying this book bc it's so annoying to listen to the songs.  But I also love seeing the joy in her face. 

Emily has sadly now realized we put pins her hair and she hates it.  She is constantly trying to pull out any hair pin.  She even pulls out phantom hair pins and is constantly grabbing her head to make sure nothing is there.  This is concerning me a lot bc a) she needs to have the hair out of her face! and b) what are we gonna do when it's her birthday party and I want to put a nice pin in her hair??   I really hope she grows out of this!

Despite being sick, I've been furiously working and prepping for Emily's dohl party.  It's been an exhausting time of making dohl towers.  The first tower only took 3 days.  The 2nd tower took much longer bc I was sick and also bc I was painting the beans and that was a huge time suck.  Planning the rest of her party has been a non-stop task.  I've been researching everything and it's tedious work.  While I'm glad that I am unemployed so that I can party plan, I also wish that this wasn't so much work period!  Well, just a month left to plan out all the details!

Okay, time to go and rest up before my little monster wakes up!

No comments:

Post a Comment