Wednesday, May 23, 2018

100 Days Old! - Week 13 Observations

This week was Emily's 100th day celebration!  It was a busy week for me as I prepped for her big day to celebrate with our 2 families.  I spent the week designing Emily's baekil table, and figuring out all the things we needed to buy.  I wanted to make her baekil celebration look really special!  She's my firstborn child, and I want her to look back on these pictures later on and know that her mom cared to make it wonderful for her. 

On Sat and Sunday, Sy and I took turns going out to run errands for her party all day and night.  It made me realize how life is so different when you have a baby.  If this had been a normal party, Sy and I would've just spent like 3 hours doing all our errands at once.  But when there's a baby involved - there's so much more planning to figure out.  We can only go out if 1 of us is completely free to watch the baby - meaning I can't be pumping, or someone can't be showering.  With my darn pumping schedule, I basically have to do everything in 3 hour increments.  It made it all very difficult!  But it got done!  And it looked beautiful!  And Emily made it through without any crying!  Thank God!  She's such a fantastic baby.  We are so truly blessed.

In Korean culture, the 100 day celebration is supposed to celebrate the fact that the baby survived the most fragile time period.  And if the baby can make it to 100 days, then she'll likely survive to adulthood.  With today's modern medicine, making it to a 100 days isn't that hard anymore.  But I do think it signifies something to the parents.  WE made it.  WE survived.  And even though raising a baby is always going to be challenging, we survived the hardest time.  I no longer feel like a newborn parent myself.  I feel more experienced, wiser, and happier!  We are out of the woods!

Some observations...

Emily has been rapidly developing, and it's so interesting to see how much she changes from week to week.  This week, I noticed that she's starting to be able to roll over.  She can turn herself completely to be on her side and just stay there while she looks at stuff! 

She also recently figured out how to grab things - especially her hair.  So now she's a hair-pulling little monster who scratches off her cradle cap like crazy.  She looks like she has a major dandruff problem!  Haha.

Interestingly, Emily has now developed a high-pitched whine/squeal.  She uses it when she's tired or when she's really cranky.  It's made me wonder if she's a whiny girl or if this is normal. 

Emily has gone back to being difficult to put down to sleep at night.  The merlin suit works great during the day, but not so much at night.  I wonder how we're ever going to wean her off of it and into a regular sleep sack.  And on top of that, I wonder how we're ever going to sleep train her bc it makes me so sad to hear her cry so hard. 

Some days, I look at her chubby little face and wonder where our tiny newborn has gone.  I still remember vividly how tiny she was and how little she used to move.  Now, we have a full blown child in front of us - who has preferences and desires.  She knows how to express herself.  If she doesn't want to eat anymore, she will squeal and whine and push away the bottle and move her head away.  She is her own person!  I can't believe how fast it is all going.  I'm already halfway through my maternity leave and I took an extra long one!  I may be exhausted each day from taking care of her all day, but I will really miss these days when it's just us 2 - laughing and playing all day.  I will miss our diaper change kisses time.  I will miss her sweet smiles after she wakes up from each nap.  I will miss watching her play in her play gym.  For now, I am cherishing every moment even when I'm grumpy and tired.  I love her so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment