Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Wounded Soldier Incoming! - Week 35 observations

This weekend was SUCH a fun development!  Emily started crawling with 1 leg!  It's just the funniest sight!  She crawls with only her right leg, and lets her left leg just drag behind her.  She looks like an injured soldier trying to army-crawl away from danger.  It's so funny!  We discovered this new development because we started building little towers with her blocks, and found that she wanted to knock it down.  On the first day, it took her a full minute to move centimeter by centimeter to get closer to the tower.  But by the end of the day, she was able to crawl her way there in seconds!  It's been so much fun to build towers all around her and watch as she goes from 1 end of the mat to the other end to knock everything down.  We were amazed at how fast she developed in just 1 day!  It's so crazy how babies can develop like this if they have their own personal determination to motivate them. 

Connected to this - Emily has learned how to go from the sitting position to lying on her belly so she can crawl.  Before, she would try to do this, but would eventually faceplant into the floor.  But now, she's learned how to carefully lower herself down.  I was curious to know how she'd figure this out myself bc it DOES seem like a pretty high distance to transition from.  What she does is she puts her hands on the floor in front of her, leans forward carefully (as if she were going to faceplant), and then slowly slides her legs out from under her until she's belly down.  It's pretty impressive to see how she's learned how to be careful like that!  It makes me wonder if she is a careful baby or if that's just what all babies do.

Emily has also started to sort of "play games" with us.  If I hold Emily in my arms, and someone goes up to her and says "Ee-ree-oh-sae-yo" - which translates to Please Come to Me, she laughs and turns away from the person, and burrows her face into my shoulder.  She does this to Sy, to her grandparents, to friends of ours, everyone!  She thinks it's so funny to turn away from them and giggle and kick her feet!  The best part though is that I'm the only person she won't do that to.  If Sy is holding her, and I say "Ee-ree-oh-sae-yo" she immediately throws her arms out and leans towards me!  She loves me the best!  She can't reject me even if she wanted to play a game!  Haha.  This definitely feeds my ego and I love it. 

Another game that Emily has learned is whenever I put on her jacket, I sit her down on the sofa, and I sit across from her.  I then put her arms through each arm hole and button her up.  After we're done, she immediately tries to jump into my arms!  She sort of thrusts herself forward with her arms extended and expects me to catch her and hold her.  Most of the time I'm prepared to catch her.  But in the mornings, I try to put on my own jacket after I put hers on, and that's when she lunges at me and I have to quickly catch her and she finds it so hilarious.  She has this giant smile and laughs as she jumps into my arms.  I always have to yell "Wait!!  Let me put on my jacket too!"  But she doesn't care.  She's ready to jump.  It's so fun!

And the newest development is that Emily has learned how to hold her own bottle when it's feeding time!  I couldn't believe my eyes when she did it.  She legit uses both her hands to hold the bottle and feeds herself.  She takes it out when she wants a break.  She puts it back in when she wants more.  I just sit there holding her up and smiling down at my little genius. Haha.  But seriously though, I'm pretty impressed with this new skill.  Maybe feeding times will get even easier???  Related to feedings, Emily is getting better at grasping and picking up food.  She's learned how to open her fists to let the food fall into her mouth.  For some reason though, she uses her left hand more than her right.  I wonder if she's a lefty or if I'm just not putting enough food on her right side.

Overall, Emily is developing so fast.  Sometimes, Sy gets sad that she develops quickly bc he wants her to stay our little baby.  It's crazy to think that in the blink of an eye, she's going to be a toddler soon.  How is life so fast?  We're so eager to slow time down, but I bet to Emily, she can't wait to grow up.  Oh the irony!

No comments:

Post a Comment