Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Moving, moving, moving - Week 41 Observations

It's been another really fun week of developments for Emily.  It's kind of shocking to see how much she changes week to week now.

One of the most exciting things from last week is that Emily started cruising.  She can now take small steps while holding on to stuff.  I started her off at our ottoman and putting snacks on opposite sides of it so that she'd have to walk to go and reach it.  She did pretty well!  She then just started doing it by herself wherever she was holding herself up.  She cruises on the sofa, on the dining bench, along her jumper chair, along the recycle bin and trash can, everywhere!  It's pretty cute to see.

As a result, I'm starting to have Emily practice walking.  We have this enormous Amazon box in our house that I was saving to use to store some bulky baby items.  But I started using it as a blockade bc Emily seems to have some kind of strange obsession with touching underneath the refrigerator.  So I put this box there to prevent her from getting to it.  But it turned out, she pulled herself up on it and then it would slowly move forward due to her weight of standing against it, and then she would walk with it!  So our little girl basically created her own little walker!  She can basically walk down our entire hallway using that giant box as her walker!  I was so proud of her!  Therefore, I immediately bought her one of those real walkers for her to practice with.  It's still a bit too fast for her right now, but I'm sure we're going to start using it soon.

In a very surprising turn of events, Emily has also started crawling on her knees!  I didn't think it was ever going to happen bc she just didn't seem to want to try it at all.  But lo and behold - she did it!  She just one day started doing it.  The funny thing is, even when she crawls on her knees, she is still a strange person and occasionally uses her left foot to help move herself along.  So then she looks so awkward bc she's got one knee on the ground and one leg up like a spider.  Haha.  She can't seem to just not let her right leg not be more dominant.  It's hilarious to see.  But regardless, I'm proud that she's giving it a try.  I thought she would never stop doing her injured leg crawl.  And it turns out, she still loves her injured leg crawl.  She's much faster that way, so when she's really impatient to get somewhere, she switches back to that and makes her way. 

Good news is that Emily is starting to drink more milk again.  She's not back to normal, but at least she's starting to finish some of her bottles again.

A fun thing was that our local community center had a tree lighting ceremony on Wed night that also included a time of meeting with Santa.  We brought Emily to the event and I was pretty excited to get a picture with Santa.  For the first photo, I sat with Emily and Santa and took a photo together.  But then we thought we'd give it a try to see if Emily could take a solo pic with Santa.  As soon as I left her, she realized that I was no longer holding her and that her parents were in front of her.  So that meant a strange man was holding her.  The look of panic in her Santa photos make us laugh so hard. 

Over the weekend, Sy and I had one of the worst fights we've had in a long time.  And unfortunately, it was not possible to not fight in front of Emily.  It made me wonder if she could sense something was wrong.  Did she notice that we were both yelling and screaming?  Did she feel scared?  She didn't seem scared.  If anything, she kept on smiling at me.  Regardless of how Emily felt, it felt very odd and sad to me to fight in front of her.  I wanted to protect her from all the yelling - help her to only know a world that is happy.  But we couldn't stop fighting in front of her.  It's made me wonder what will happen in the future when she's more cognizant of this.  Will she take sides?  Will she feel nervous about divorce?  I used to be terrified of divorce when I was a child.  When does that fear become a real fear for kids?  I don't really know what the solution is in terms of how to fight when you have children.  But all I know is that I didn't like.  And I just hope there are no fights for her to ever have to witness.

In the meantime, I love Emily to death with each new day.  And I hope that I can always bring joy and sunshine into her life through whatever darkness that may come her way.

No comments:

Post a Comment