Friday, September 28, 2018

In sickness and in health - Week 30 Observations

Last week was week 2 of me solo parenting.  By the time Sy came home on Thurs, I was pretty exhausted from doing everything on my own.  I could not have been happier for Sy's return.  Haha.

While Sy was away, we had worried a little that Emily might not remember Sy when he came back.  2 weeks is a really long time in her short life!  We were diligent about making sure to video-chat every day so she could see him and hear his voice.  But she never really seemed all that interested in seeing him on the phone.  Sometimes she would smile at him, but it was pretty rare.  So we had wondered what her reaction would be when she saw him when he came back.  I wasn't there when he went to pick her up, but Sy told me that she smiled really big when she saw him.  He said that she saw him from a distance and immediately recognized him and seemed genuinely happy to see him!  It made him so happy that she was happy to see him.  And Sy's parents also laughed at how happy she was to see her dad. It's good to know that she knows and loves him.

On Saturday, we went to brunch to celebrate the birthdays of Sy's sister and cousin.  We tried putting Emily in her first high chair at a restaurant and we were happy to see that she can do it!  She's big enough to fit, and she's capable of sitting on her own without falling down.  This was pretty exciting to me bc it gave me hope that maybe we can start going out to restaurants soon!  I've really missed going to a restaurant to eat.  While take-out is almost as good as eating at a restaurant, it's never as good when it comes out fresh.  The only thing was Emily couldn't keep herself entertained by herself.  I had brought toys for her to play with, but she kept dropping them on the floor, and then we couldn't use the toys anymore bc they were dirty.  It was so close!  We ended up holding her while we ate, but then she got antsy, so I had to eat while standing up.  At least we're finally getting there. 

On Sunday, Emily got her first fever.  At first, I was sure that Emily had caught a cold from her cousins.  Carol had been sick with a fever and a mouth sore for days.  And when we got to brunch, Adam was feeling sick as well and was super cold and fatigued.  So I thought Emily must have definitely caught their cold.  I was pretty worried that Emily had hand-foot-mouth virus.  (My god -- that virus is literally my worst nightmare.)  Emily's temperature went up to 100 degrees, and her little body felt so warm.  But surprisingly, she wasn't as crabby as I had thought she'd be.  She ate a little less than usual and kept leaving milk behind.  But she ate her solids voraciously.  She played relatively well despite feeling unwell.  I was pretty sad to see Emily with a fever.  She had trouble sleeping bc of her fever.  She couldn't sleep unless I held her.  It was very reminiscent of weeks 6-8.  During her nap, she cried hysterically when I tried to put her back in her crib, and in the end, I had to let her sleep in my arms while I sat in a char.  That night, Emily woke up after 45 min, and cried so hard for me to come and get her.  She wouldn't sleep unless I was holding her and standing.  So I ended up holding her until she fell asleep deeply in my arms, and then gently put her back in her crib.  It took nearly 40 min to get her down.  I was so sad for her.  The next day, I began to wonder if emily was teething - and not actually sick.  She had been drooling quite a bit - and it was a pretty low grade fever.  The next day when I was at work, Emily only slept 1 nap the entire day.  I had wondered if she needed me to hold her to sleep.  Poor girl.  I was so sad for her.  But I'm still so proud of her.  Despite a fever, and whatever discomfort she must have felt, she was a champ and played and ate relatively well.  She's such a good girl.  I love her so much.

It's definitely made me realized how important good health is.  I hope we can make it through this winter with as few colds as possible - for Emily and for all of us.  Carol's cold got everyone sick - 2 parents, 1 brother, 2 grandparents, 1 cousin.  It's nuts how powerful colds are.

But the old adage is true - what doesn't kill us makes us stronger!  Here's to being one cold stronger!  (or maybe a first tooth stronger!)

No comments:

Post a Comment